Cycling Terminology

If you're not much of a cyclist and don't have a clue what I'm going on about but still wanna have a read, check out the link. Just click where it says "Cycling Terms". It tells you what all those words mean that you don't know.
Chur

Sunday 3 February 2013

NZ Cycle Classic

January was a pretty hectic month of racing on the NZ racing scene. To finish off the month I headed up to Palmerston North for a 4 day tour known as NZ Cycle Classic (NZ's only UCI tour). Our team consisted of the usual L & M lads although for this race we rode for RICOH.

The Prologue was a battle with a lot of wind and a really rolly course. I felt pretty good but saved too much for the final kilometres after being warned about the brutal course. In the end I think I finished about 1:05 down on winner Joe Cooper riding for his Australian team Genesis Cycling.Our teams top rider was newly signed Nick Lovegrove.


Over the next few days we were tested by some typical Palmy crosswinds which caused some decisive splits. Unfortunately on stage 2, our team missed out on the break of about 12 who put over 10 minutes into the field shatter and hope we had of contesting General Classification. So after this we were forced to chase stage wins...that was until stage 4 when Grover told me to have a crack at the Under 23 Classification. I was pretty keen to try and pull a good result for the team and sponsors but had one small obstacle in my way...a mountain top finish (my specialty ;) ). As soon as I hit the climb I was instantly into body rocking mode trying to hang onto the front group. In the end I think I was 4th U23 up the climb putting me in 5th on U23 Classification.

So for the final stage my goal was to make the break and try to jump onto the U23 podium. I seemed to make every move apart from the decisive break. But in the end it came down to a bunch kick which I gave my best shot but ended up being cut off and had to back out slinking back to 8th place.


So the tour was a sweet way to crank up the Belgie build-up but unfortunately the team couldn't muster any big results. I do have to say a huge thank-you to Ricoh for sposoring myself and the rest of the team for the week...just wish I could have showed how much it means by giving you something to rave about! Also thanks to Backy from Armstrong Sport who was team bitch for the week...always a rough job!




Now I have 3 weeks left before departure to Europe where I'll be spending 7 months racing for CT Tomacc while being based in Poperinge, Belgium. Old man Chapman has me on a good looking programme that should have me hussing for Belge. Can't wait to get over tere and punish some Belgies who will be straight out of a brutal winter.


Also thanks to Eric who hooked me up with the new EMC Equipe R1.0 frame! It runs like a dream...check the new set up:






No comments:

Post a Comment