Cycling Terminology

If you're not much of a cyclist and don't have a clue what I'm going on about but still wanna have a read, check out the link. Just click where it says "Cycling Terms". It tells you what all those words mean that you don't know.
Chur

Sunday 20 January 2013

Bluff to Sydney (and everything between)

Well what can I say, the lack of blog posts says it all. Things have been pretty chaotic over the last few months...awesome but chaotic!

I've spent my summer putting in some big km's as well as working full time in the Nelmac Nursery. My jobs been pretty sweet just rocking round hanging flower baskets and mincing round the nursery. Couldn't have asked for a better summer job really. And best of all the boss is happy with my work and is keen to hook me up with a job next summer too. He's even mentioned helping me out with funding some papers in horticulture while I'm overseas this year. GC

On the riding front I've been all over the country and even across the ditch since being back. I rode the Chch Festival of Cycling, Tour of Southland, NSW GP, Tour de Vineyards, Elite Nationals and this week I'm heading up North for NZ Cycle Classic (NZ'S only UCI Tour). I've enjoyed being back racing with the L & M Group Racing lads and Canny...haha.

The crosswinds of Southland brought back some fond memories of Belgium...just hanging out in the gutter. I was feeling strong as an oxe but just lacked a bit of speed for the tour which ewas not suprising after spending most of my buildup climbing mountain passes in Switzerland! But hats off to teammate Joe Chapman who swept up the KOM jersey once again...why hasn't that old man just keeled over and died yet?

After Southland Canny offered me a trip to Sydney to race the NSW GP and I reluctantly agreed. So after a weeks off the bike I started some speed work for NSW. The crits themselves were an awesome experience racing some big names in Professional Cycling. Day 2 in Wollongong included a gruelling 600m course on top of a hill by the seas. To top it off there were huge gusts with winds on the coast measuring 80kmh! Needless to say the field blew to pieces in the first few laps. Overall teammate Gatey finished 3rd which was a mammoth effort for the level of racing! The trip was topped off with a big Sunday night out in Cronulla with the lads and a few other awesome kiwi lasses who also raced the crits.


Elite nationals...well thats another story. My job was to look after newly signed teammate Anthony Chapman. So while the rest of the team headed up the road we sat back and cruised in the pelo until we hit a little climb known as Dyers Pass. As expected the pace up the climb was high...so high I got a new max HR. Anyway, I was only just hanging on over the climb (sometimes had to chase on for up to 5km) but after 5 laps it became too much and I was dropped like a rock off the Empire State. Unfortunately Chappy suffered a similar fate after cramping up on the climb. Only 20 of the 80 starters finished and as nice as it would have been to be one of those few, I can't say my result was suprising. The level of racing was nothing to be snivelled at. Big shout out to GB though coming across the line with National Champion Hayden Roulston after an impressive ride (the vomit on his toptube says it all!)

So whats next for me? Well this week is NZCC which will be my last main race in NZ riding with L & M Group racing. And at the end of Feb I'll be heading over to Belgium to ride for the same team as last year (CT Tomacc) based in Poperinge West-Flaanders. This year the team has signed 10 international riders including NZ teammate Tom Francis and former Tomacc Teammate and kiwi Matt Wheatcroft.

I actually went to the doctors for a syphillus test (thats another story) a few weeks ago and the doctor said, "ahhh you were here at this time last year too." I asked what my problem was last year and she said I was suffering from fatigue. I remembered the dark place I was in at this time last year. Unfit, sick, no team lined up and ready to jack cycling in (so stoked I didn't). But it's no suprise that last years season was a bit up and down when you begin the year like that. So this year I'm in complete contrast. Motivation is through the roof, got some huge km's in the legs and I'm fizzing to get back to Belgium and tear up some Belgie roads...just gotta hang onto it for the next month or so!

Hope you enjoyed that little novel, I'll get the posts going a bit more frequently to keep you all up to date.

And good luck to all the kiwi riders already starting their seasons in Europe. I have max respect for all of you suffering the Euro winter.

Peace

2 comments:

  1. Hey Tom, did you meet a guy called Richard at Nelmac. A big English guy with a permanent grin?

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I met Richard. He works in Landscapes though. He mentioned you and said you were in a Church group together. Good bugger.

      Delete